"At Starter School you don't receive grades and have exams. Instead, you are expected to take what you learn and build a web application that solves a problem."
- What Problem He's Solving: A way for third-world farmers to produce better crop yields.
- Most proud moment: Marrying his wife
- Things he can't live without: His wife and son
- Abdulla in three words: Resilient, resourceful, idiosyncratic.
Learn about what Abdulla is doing to impact the world.
Why are you at Starter School?
I'm here for so many reasons!
- First, my attempts to turn ideas into reality by outsourcing to web developers in India via Elance never worked out.
- Second, I wanted to accelerate my learning rather than spend several years learning technology, design, and entrepreneurship.
- Third, I wanted to learn and collaborate with students and teachers from diverse backgrounds as well as interacting with Chicago’s tech community.
- Lastly, I wanted my work to have a greater purpose than merely “putting food on the table”.
Is there one experience that stands out for you at Starter School?
I enjoyed Troy Henikoff's class on entrepreneurship. He opened my eyes to the challenges and opportunities a founder faces.
How do you explain Starter School to your friends, family, and/or significant others?
I tell them that Starter School teaches you the fundamental skills required to a build web-based company.
Were you intimidated to learn anything that ended up coming easy to you?
I don't think anything has come easy at Starter School, but I have learned that the best way to work through the discomfort of learning a new subject is by practicing.
What makes Starter School different than other classes/schools you've been to?
Starter School is unique because it's a self-motivated learning environment. Unlike a traditional school, you don't receive grades or have exams. Instead, you are expected to take what you learn and build a web application that solves a problem.
What are you building right now?
I'm working on creating an application that enables third world farmers to make better decisions that increase their crop yield and profit. Currently, farmers rely on intuition and experience to make farming decisions, but don't have easy access to weather and soil data. This application will send farmers weather, rainfall, and soil moisture data along with actionable steps through text messages.
What's one thing that you have been surprised by at Starter School?
While every student came here to Starter School individually, I have been surprised by all my fellow students' willingness to help each other achieve their goals. Truly amazing.